No Compromise

National News


Cover Story

Vivisection Challenged at UC Berkeley
Clock Tower Civil Disobedience
by Josh Trenter

BERKELEY, CA -- It was an ordinary Tuesday morning at UC Berkeley. As students made their way to classes and tourists milled about, a group of five people entered the elevator that would take them to the top of the Campanile, a 300 foot clock tower located in the heart of the Berkeley campus. As the elevator doors closed behind them, activists entered the observation deck and ushered tourists and students to lower levels. Doors were closed and activists immediately assembled door blockades made out of wedges and large diameter PVC piping. Simultaneously, other activists inside the tower were at work dropping a single black rope out of a window to a lone climber waiting below.

As the rope hit the ground, the climber immediately began his ascent of the clock tower bringing with him a large duffel bag that held a portion of his supplies, the rest of which would be handed out a window to him when he reached the top. As the climber stopped to rest, police arrived on the scene. With the activist ascending the rope safely out of reach, and the observation deck securely barricaded, there was little they could do but watch in silence as the climber stopped below a window 200 feet up to erect a hanging platform that would be his home for the next 8 days, and drop a 60 foot long banner reading "END VIVISECTION - ANIMAL LIBERATION".
Mike raises his fist as he addresses the crowd before finishing his descent

With a horrific record of animal abuse, UC Berkeley has long been a target of animal liberationists. While the banner drop was a commemoration of World Week for Animals in Laboratories, it was specifically focused at the University's plans to construct a new $15 million "Center for Neuroscience". The new animal research facility would ensure that many more animals would be brought to Berkeley to be used in invasive neurological research, as well as many more vivisectors being put on Berkeley's payroll, including notorious NYU vivisectors Lynne Kiorpes and Anthony Movshon.

It was late in the day when police were finally successful in evicting the five activists who had seized control of the Campanile. They had held the observation deck as long as they could and had succeeded in putting the climber, fully supplied, on the outside of the clock tower where he would remain for the next 8 days. Over the course of the week, the protest received an incredible amount of attention, both in the media and on campus, where groups of onlookers would stop to look up at the banner, and talk to activists on the ground about the reasons behind the action.

The climber held out as long as possible, but on the eighth day of his vigil he was forced to come down after being without water for over a day. As he descended the rope, hundreds gathered at the base of the Campanile to look on. Stopping 25 feet from the ground, he addressed the media, students and other onlookers, asking them to help put an end to animal research at UC Berkeley. He then finished his descent and was arrested by campus police. All of the activists were charged with trespassing, and released on their own recognizance. Although the banner hang was incredibly successful in bringing attention to UC Berkeley's attempts to expand animal research, the fight is far from over and activists will continue in their efforts to expose the fraud known as vivisection, and to see to it that all living beings are given the opportunity to live out their lives in freedom and with dignity.

Banner Hanging on UC Berkeley Clock Tower

Home | Issue Archive | Subscribe | Resources | Direct Action | Merchandise | Help NC | About NC